Paul’s heart lies in traditional climbing, especially in his homeland of Ireland, however he is constantly drawn away on all types adventures in all corners of the earth. Paul is a qualified IFMGA Mountain Guide. This means Skiing, Sport Climbing, Ice Climbing, Big Wall Climbing and Mountain Biking are all high on Paul’s list of distractions and his main problem in life is having enough time to fit in all the fun. His desire to climb became the basis on which he made most of his life decisions, and it’s no surprise that climbing and travelling have taken him all over the world.
Paul not only aspires to experience fantastic adventures and progress his own skills....he has a passion for developing climbing at a grass roots level. After spending 4 years as a Youth Development Officer for Mountaineering Ireland, he identified the significance of participation and of teaching young climbers the importance of experiencing the mountains responsibly and safely. In addition, he plays a key role in the promotion of climbing in Ireland, which has recently resulted in the biggest (and reportedly the best) Fair Head Climbing meet.
Paul’s main motivation is to get out there, get stuck in and seek out adventure, whilst maintaining a lifestyle of freedom, quality friendships, good music and good beer. He is great at doing the simple things right and living the outdoor lifestyle...with his van and his dog he’s a happy man – oh and his wife Ellie!
- Gullivers Travels (E5) – Gran Capucin Chamonix
- Gabbarou – Long (7b) - Red Pillar Du Broulliard, Mont Blanc
- The Nose in 16hrs, Yosemite
- The Grand Wall (E4) - Squamish
- We’re All Learning (E7) – Binnian Tors, Mourne Mountains
- Into the Dread (E7) – Buzzards Roost, Mourne Mountains
- South Pillar, Barre Des Ecrin, Ecrin National Park.
- Maudite Draperie (7c+) Entraygues, Ecrin National Park
- Gramusat Direct (WI6), Fressinieres, Ecrin.
- Afroman (7b+) Cova de Diablo, Mallorca
- Pillar Variant (S), Lower Cove, Mournes
- Refraction (E5), The Burren
- Immaculata (E6), Holy Jeasus Wall, Owey Island
- Gemini (VI, 6) Ben Nevis, Scotland.
- Mega Route X (VI, 6) Ben Nevis, Scotland.
- And everything at Fair Head – maybe the best crag in the world!!