As an outdoor brand, Rab are clearly concerned about the excessive use of unnecessary plastics in our lives, and the impact this has on the environment we all enjoy so much. We are committed to reducing unnecessary plastic packaging but will only do so where there is no detrimental impact to product quality.
Rab owner Equip Outdoor Technologies are signed up as founding members of the European Outdoor Group Single Use Packaging Project – working with the industry to develop a roadmap to significantly reduce single use plastics in the value chain.
Rab has acted to reduce plastic packaging in our UK distribution process by:
- swapping to biodegradable gum tape and replacing plastic packaging tape which is difficult to recycle and contaminates waste stream.
- swapping to paper/cardboard distribution packaging made from sustainably sourced materials and 100% recyclable, replacing plastic mailer.
We do have to use individual plastic bags to protect items inside the distribution packaging. This is critical to keeping items clean and undamaged from manufacturing through to the end user. In our trials to test the removal of plastic bags, items have been damaged beyond repair, creating unnecessary financial and environmental costs, far outweighing the impact of a plastic bag.
The use of biodegradable and compostable plastic are not yet proven in a complex textile supply chain. High humidity levels, high temperatures, long storage and shipping times will degrade the packaging and expose the product to damage beyond repair.
All individual plastic bags can be recycled in appropriate facilities, but Rab would love that you reused them first by using them to:
- cover muddy boots before getting in the car/pub/café/hostel
- put wet kit into to keep everything else dry
- pack dirty items in to keep other items from getting dirty
- protect valuables like your ID, passport, money, phone etc. when outdoors to keep them from getting wet
- wrap your lunch in to keep it fresh and tasty!