Mel Bernier is a passionate endurance athlete who competes in ski mountaineering races at international level for Canada. Even when the snow disappears, she makes the most of the mountains by trail running, sky running and mountain biking.
Originally from Quebec City, Mel learnt to ski at a very young age, but it was only when she moved to British Colombia on the other side of the country that she first tasted back country skiing. This led to taking part in ski mountaineering races and it was only two years later that she made the national team.
Now with four World Championship seasons under her belt, Mel continues to train as hard as ever. Somehow she manages to fit this around running her residential design business and working a second job, earning her the nickname ‘the hummingbird’ among friends.
Although the racing season is hectic with lots of travel, a day of ski mountaineering without a finish line or podium is still about ‘the freedom of being in the mountains, skiing in the unknown and the untouched’.
- World Ranking Ski Mountaineering 2013/14 - Top 10
- World Cup Sprint, Pitturina - 3rd
- World Cup Individual, Pitturina - 5th
- World Cup Individual, Courchevel - 6th
- World Ranking Ski Mountaineering 2012/13 - Top 10
- Top Canadian Female in Ski Mountaineering since 2010